Dads Are Rallying For “Amazon Mom” To Change Its Name To “Amazon Family”
The retail giant’s family-discount program is only known as Amazon Mom in the United States — it’s known as Amazon Family in other countries. #AmazonFamilyUS
1. Parent’s Twitter and Facebook feeds across the US have been lighting up with the following graphic this morning:
2. The movement has largely been inspired by the passing of Oren Miller, the father and blogger behind bloggerfather.com.
Miller was a giant in the online parenting community who had long questioned Amazon.com’s branding of their family rewards program as “Amazon Mom” in the US, and was championing for a change.
3. Miller wrote often about why he felt the exclusionary name was an issue, but never more succinctly than in his February 2013 post promoting another dad’s petition to change the name to Amazon Family, as it was known in Canada, the UK and elsewhere.
“Please sign that petition. Please. It’s not about a name and it’s not about me personally being offended and it’s not about stupid emails about yoga classes. It’s about a company that looks at the US, then looks at England, and then decides that over there, parent equals mom or dad, while here, well, we’re not ready for that yet.” – Oren Miller
5. After his death, the community Miller touched so deeply rallied, taking up the #AmazonFamilyUS torch as their own.
10. Doug French, founder of the Dad 2.0 Summit, an annual meeting of dads and marketers, spoke to BuzzFeed Life about the #AmazonFamilyUS movement:
“Amazon is a smart, powerful, and progressive company with as recognizable a global brand as there is. Bringing â€˜Amazon Family’ in line with its branding all over the rest of the world would be a strong show of support for dads in the US.”
11. So far the #AmazonFamilyUS petition has over 3000 signatures.
Dads are an integral part of the village. A village needs a vendor. Be ours, @Amazon! #AmazonFamilyUS https://t.co/RXJsYWnG0L
12. BuzzFeed Life has reached out to Amazon Mom for comment.
Previous Post: Sends Roses To All…
Next Post: ‘Go-away-ASAP money’? United, Dr. David Dao reach ‘amicable settlement’